The mission of the Division of Student Services is to assist students in achieving their academic goals and enhancing their personal, intellectual and social development through the provision of a broad range of programs and services. As “partners in learning,” the division strives to enhance and support the academic mission of the university, to assure the rights of the individual, to seek solutions to persistent issues and problems and to encourage independent thought and action. The division works to contribute to the development and maintenance of a healthy, safe and orderly campus environment that is responsive to the needs of a diverse student body and conducive to the development of leadership, citizenship and collegiality of students.
“We’re making a DIFFERENCE in the lives of our students”
The division also seeks to prepare its diverse constituencies – men and women of varied ages, cultures and ethnic backgrounds – for their role as creative and productive citizens in the international community. Finally, through regular self-review processes, the division endeavors to respond to the needs of a changing student population. The major responsibility of the Division of Student Services is to maintain a comprehensive education and student support service programs to meet the needs of students. Toward these ends, the division provides oversight and direction for more than 35 university programs and service areas that support Texas Southern University students outside the classroom.
- Improve and promote positive relationships and satisfaction throughout the division, within and between various levels and offices and between students and the division, including relationships with students.
- Partner and collaborate with all university departments, programs, and services to provide communication, training, and expertise that support student learning and development in and out of class.
- Create and implement a model for developing and allocating resources (space, staff, operations, personal and professional growth and development) and matching resources to prioritized departmental functions.
- Develop and implement a student services information and assessment system for planning, decision-making and marketing.
- Create a unified image and theme for the Division.
- Serve as advocates for students in all university matters.
- Promote ethical behavior among and between students, staff and faculty.
- Promote academic success through courses, tutoring and mentoring activities.